M. K. ČIURLIONIS NATIONAL MUSEUM OF ART EXHIBITION
V. Putvinskio St. 55, LT-44248 Kaunas
The majority of the Lithuanian artist M. K. Čiurlionis’s (1875–1911) creative legacy is displayed here.
Čiurlionis was one of Lithuania’s first graphic artists. His graphic works include glass etchings and china ink drawings. As well as graphic design, there are original compositions and painting sketches.
His musical heritage stands as a backbone for Lithuanian professional music. There are symphony poems, compositions for piano, choirs, organ and string quartets. Čiurlionis’s creative career as a musician lasted for fifteen years, slightly longer then his career as a painter. During that period he wrote over 350 compositions. Visitors are invited to listen to M. K. Čiurlionis’s compositions in the music auditorium, where piano concerts are also organized.
The M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art is the where almost all the creative heritage of this most famous Lithuanian painter, composer, author and public figure is preserved. 220 paintings, 52 graphic prints, 10 sketch books, photos and other numerous archival materials are held in the museum collection today.
LITHUANIAN FOLK ART (Is temporarily unavailable)
The museum is famous for its rich folk art collection from the 18 – 20 centuries including over 4 thousand folk sculptures. The collection presents the best examples of painting, graphics and sculpture. Saints, also fondly called “Dievukai” (Small Gods) in Lithuanian, are the dominant motif of the majority of the works. St. George, the symbol of victory and all good, is a favourite character in Lithuania. Other favourites include: St. Isidore, St. John the Baptist, St. John of Nepomuk, and St. Agatha.
16 – 19TH CENTURY LITHUANIAN ART (Is temporarily unavailable)
Paintings form the largest part of exhibition. As in the rest of Europe during the 16–18th centuries, representative “swagger” portraiture, known for its pomposity, effects and splendour began to spread in Lithuania.
Not only local masters, but also invited foreign artists participated in the art life of Lithuania. The exhibition contains works by representatives of the Vilnius Art School – Karol Rypinski, Wincenty Dmochowski and Jan Rustem. It also includes works representating the new academicism by pupils of the St. Petersburg Art Academy – Tadeusz Gorecki, Jan Chrucki, Albert Wojciech Žamett, romanticist Michael Elviro Andriolli and also a representative of Western Europe realism – Edward Mateusz Römer.
These Lithuanian painters’ works are complemented by examples of Lithuanian church Art: two wooden sculptures of exceptionally sublime beauty – the Gothic Madonnas.
EARLY 20TH CENTURY LITHUANIAN ART
(THE WORKS OF THE GROUP "ARS" AND KAUNAS ART SCHOOL) (Is temporarily unavailable)
M. K. Čiurlionis museum is the national treasure trove of Lithuanian pictorial art from the first half of the 20th century. Alongside the creations of ex-lecturers from Kaunas Art School – Justinas Vienuožinskis, Adomas Varnas, Kajetonas Sklėrius, Jonas Šileika, Petras Kalpokas, Adomas Galdikas, you can also find representatives of the groups “Ars” and “Independent”. These artists are distinctive through their individual espression and brave experimentation from the 1930’s: Antanas Samuolis, Viktoras Vizgirda, Antanas Gudaitis, Juozas Mikėnas, Leonardas Kazokas, Jonas Vaičius, Adolfas Valeška and others.
The group members championed modern and folk art, proclaimed individuality, novelty, originality, and artistic freedom. They cherished anti-naturalistic, anti-academic aesthetic attitudes. The ways these artists modelled their work stylistics were influenced by Paris school trends, Art deco and neoclassicism together with principles of local folk art.
MYKOLAS ŽILINSKAS ART GALLERY EXHIBITION
Nepriklausomybės Sq. 12, LT-44311 Kaunas
The largest Lithuanian collection of Ancient Egyptian artefacts is kept in the museum.
In the exhibition presents colourful death-masks, sarcophagus painting, a mummy and a unique papyrus fragment from “The Book of the Dead”.
The antique collection of ceramics is impressive with its diversity in form, artistic black-figured and red-figured décor; these include moulded dishes meant for different purposes and oil–lamps from 4 B. C. to 7 A. D. from Ancient Greece and Rome.
The exhibition also includes a collection of antique Roman glass.
The history of porcelain is introduced through examples of Chinese and Japanese porcelain as well as those of the best known European porcelain manufactures.
The museum is proud to have unique Meissen manufacture examples, the first in Europe, which date from the beginning of the 18th century.
The museum also presents a faience collection with examples from German, Austrian, Russian and other countries’ manufactures. Here the visitor can admire three Verdures, woven after the well known chinoiserie artist J. B. Pillement’s (1728–1808) cartoons. Examples of 19th to 20th century Expressive Art porcelain, faience, glass and furniture, in spirit of Art Nouveau and Art Déco, complete the exhibition.
A wide variety of styles, periods, artists and schools, varying from the late renaissance, baroque and classicism to romanticism, symbolism, impressionism, Art Nouveau and art trends from the second half of 20th century are represented here.
The works of many famous artists from countries that were the leaders in the development of Western art, namely Italy, France, The Netherlands, Spain and Germany are represented here together with those from countries which formed their own identity through national schools, namely Austria, USA, Eastern European and the Baltic countries. Some examples of which are: “Concerto” a painting by the artist F. Rustici (school of Caravaggio); “Diogenes with a Lantern” the work of the 17th century Spanish realist J. de Ribera; “The Crucifix” the painting of the Flemish baroque master P. P. Rubens, (which is the only example of his work in the Baltic states); work by the Swiss symbolist A. Böcklin; “Lady With a Mask” by the Sezession movement leader L. Corinth; sculptures by A. Rodin and B. Thorvaldsen.
The museum also proudly houses a generous Italian and Dutch art collection from the 17th and 18th centuries. A collection of Belgian art from the first half of the 20th century was donated to the museum in 1936 by the artists participating in the Belgian exhibition in Kaunas and is exhibited here.
A tactile exhibition The Museum for the Blind, which is opened on the ground floor of the gallery, provides an opportunity for blind people to get familiar with modern and contemporary art. The M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art is the only museum in
The Museum for the Blind traces its beginning to 1997, when the first exhibition in
Only original works of art are displayed in the exhibition. They include sculptures, painting, textile, graphics, glass, installations, and objects. A great variety of materials and techniques is used in creating the works of different genres which reflect each artist’s individual style and personal approach.
The exhibition is adapted for partially and completely blind people. The exhibits and the architecture of the exhibition are formed by the principles of tactile interaction in order to meet special needs and expectations of the blind.
All works can be touched with hands and “read” with fingers. The surface of the works contains a relief structure: paintings are created by using thickly textured paint; clichés with engraved pictures are used instead of graphic prints; dominating in the exhibition are sculptures and objects as they are the most suitable for tactile perception; all labels are made in Braille. Besides the sense of touch, the sensations of hearing and smell are also involved: the exhibits have sound installations and spread fragrances. The thematic plot of these works of arts is acceptable for both children and adults.
The exhibition has an educational program designed specifically for the blind. The works of art are introduced by specially trained guides.
In 2011 the exhibition The Museum for the Blind was supplemented with new works of art. The collection was enriched with the sculpture A Self-portrait with Rabbits by Leonas Strioga, a Laureate of the National Prize., the mural painting A Paraphrase of the Picture by Arvydas Brazdžiūnas-Dusė, and installations Herbarium by Auksė and Darius Petruliai and Everything Has Sense by Danielius Sodeika. Glass artist Artūras Rimkevičius made labels in Braille using his own technique.
In 2016 Gintautė Teresė Juciūtė ir Mantas Zinkevičius have donated to the museum their work of art Johny Onefinger which was created specially for the exhibition Museum for the Blind. A piece of visual art can be perceived not only by sight, it can be comprehended by touching it. Artists had a wish to share their creation with the audience and to settle Johny in a suitable place – so these are more than proper and significant reasons why they donate this work to the M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art.
The Project supporters: Lithuanian Council for Culture, Support Fund of the Institute of Open Society of Lithuania.
The Project partners: M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art, The Lithuanian Union of Blind and Visually Impared, Lithuanian Artists’ Association Kaunas Department.
The exhibition Museum for the Blind initiator and curator – art critic Violeta Jasevičiūtė.
The exhibition for visitors is opened II–V from 11 to 17. Visited by telephone arrangement 370 37 229475.
KAUNAS PICTURE GALLERY EXHIBITION
K. Donelaičio St. 16, LT-44213 Kaunas
The exhibition introduces the visitors to the outstanding Lithuanian works of art by Antanas Gudaitis, Leopoldas Surgailis, Leonardas Tuleikis, Algimantas Švėgžda, Vladas Karatajus, Jonas Švažas, Aloyzas Stasiulevičius, Vincas Kisarauskas, Algimantas Kuras, Laima Drazdauskaitė and Povilas Vaitekūnas, which reflect the main artistic tendencies.
A wide spectrum of works by Lithuanian artists who scattered throughout the world may be seen here. Most of these artists developed their own style after they had familiarized themselves with modern art trends worldwide.
The “Black Hole” installation by well-known Japanese artist Ay-O, is an amusing accent of the main Picture Gallery hall.
ALGIMANTAS MIŠKINIS COLLECTION
The Eastern and Lithuanian art collections, presented to the city of Kaunas by Professor Algimantas Miškinis, are displayed on the third floor of the gallery.
The Lithuanian art collection consists of more than 120 works of art. The majority of them were selected and presented to the gallery after the exhibition of the Lithuanian art in 2007. By thoroughly investigating Miškinis’ collection, it is possible to make acquaintance with the history of the Lithuanian realism of the first half of the 20th century. The material, though fragmentary but still quite valuable.
The Professor single-mindedly collected art pieces of the Lithuanian realism of the end of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. The purpose of these works is to reflect the reality of the period and to highlight social issues. Therefore, genre scenes, portraits and landscapes dominate in the collection. Realism as an artistic trend was not consistent; it went through various changes and visitors can get an opportunity to observe the development of this trend.
In the period from the end of the 19th century to the first half of the 20th century, the Lithuanian art was created by the whole generation of versatile artists. The artistic variety is reflected in the works of Ivan Trutnev, Ivan Rybakov, Ferdynand Ruszczyc, Chaïm Soutine, Jehuda Epstein, and others.
In the beginning of the 20th century, realism was influenced by new trends such as romanticism, impressionism, modern art, and symbolism. This tendency is reflected in the works of artists who belong to the elder generation: Antanas Žmuidzinavičius, Petras Kalpokas, Adomas Varnas. These artists continued to implant the principles established in the early period for the students at
In the 1930s younger artists began to rebel against the established forms of art. These artists formed the Ars group which sought to create an individual style by combining modern and folk art. Adomas Galdikas, whose works make up the largest part of the collection, was an intermediary between the elder and the younger generation. His paintings are marked by experimentation. Seven works in the collection produced by the author are not painted in a uniform manner. Some of them are more restrained, closer to a traditional realism (In the
A separate group of the collection consists of works by German painters who created in Lithuania Minor – Bernhard Kalmeyer, Gustaf Weitkunat, Ida Wolfermann – Lindenau, and other artists who painted mainly landscapes of Nida and Juodkrantė.
The collection introduces works which belong to other artistic trends and genres as well. Kazys Šimonis’ decorative compositions, Adomas Galdikas’ small abstractions created in emigration, and Kazys Varnelis’ history painting The Battle of Rudava (1492) are the examples. One of the most valuable paintings of the collection is The Prayer by Adomas Galdikas (painted in the 1920s). This painting clearly reflects principles of the Ars group. The collection also holds the artist’s triptych
The exhibition of the Eastern art holds 380 works collected by Algimantas Miškinis.
The collection is based on works from the Far East, namely Central, Southern and Eastern Asia:
Works of fine and decorative arts dominate in the collection, but there are examples of the applied art as well. These include vases, ritual vessels and dishes meant for everyday use. Most of the exhibits are assigned to the 19th century. The early professional works such as ritual vessels engraved with ancient Chinese characters, are dated from the 11th to the 8th centuries B.C.
The collection holds articles made of bone, metal, stone, and wood. These works of art usually depict gods, immortals, clergymen, emperors, mythological creatures, as well as common people.
Fairly large part of the collection (39 items) consists of watercolors and oil paintings on silk, paper, and nacre. These include scroll paintings, such as One Hundred Buddhas or One Hundred Horses, and tankas, representing a particular god or a goddess. The collection also contains works depicting scenes of daily life. Another part of the collection includes woodcuts produced by Japanese artists Utagawa Kunisada, Suzuki Harunobu, Katsushika Hokusai, and Utagawa Hiroshige from the 18th to the 19th century.
The collection presents 60 pieces of pottery and porcelain from the 18th century to the first half of the 20th century. Dishes meant for everyday use and vases dominate among these items. Some of the vases and plates are extremely decorative, created by Japanese artists specially for the Europeans. Statues of Buddha and Bodhisattva and other mythological creatures are also demonstrated in the exposition.
Visitors have a chance to see several pieces of furniture of different styles, examples of Chinese paper cutting, various embroideries and other works of art decorated with leather or glazed.
The titles of the exhibits were translated with the aid of the VMU student PhD Aurelijus Zykas and VMU lecturer from China Yang Qiaoyn. Part of the notes has been interpreted by Dalia Švambarytė, the employee of the
A. ŽMUIDZINAVIČIUS CREATIONS AND COLLECTIONS MUSEUM EXHIBITION
V. Putvinskio St. 64, LT-44211 Kaunas
A. ŽMUIDZINAVIČIUS CREATIONS AND COLLECTIONS MUSEUM EXHIBITION
Antanas Žmuidzinavičius left approximately 2,000 works, of which the most mature lean toward realism. The artist painted landscapes and portraits. He also worked with prints, designed various books and participated in currency/stamp/and poster competitions.
The exhibition in the memorial house–museum introduces the artist and his family, the works of the artist, his friends, pupils and colleagues. The memorial flat and studio maintain keep the atmosphere of the 1930’s with authentic furniture and various interior components.
DEVILS MUSEUM EXHIBITION
V. Putvinskio St. 64, LT-44211 Kaunas
The initial collection of A. Žmuidzinavičius, which was gathered from 1906 to 1966, and consists of 260 devils, is exhibited on the first floor of the museum. The devils, presented by artists, clergymen and folk-artists, reveal the different features of the Lithuanian folk devil: rebel, creator, tempter, patron and punisher.
Devils, created by Lithuanian folk and professional artists were presented to the museum after the death of A. Žmuidzinavičius and are displayed on the second floor of the museum.
Devils and masks, presented by museum visitors of diverse origins from many other parts of the world are displayed on the third floor of the museum.
CERAMICS MUSEUM EXHIBITION [MUSEUM IS CLOSED]
Rotušės Sq. 15, LT-44279 Kaunas
CERAMICS MUSEUM EXHIBITION [MUSEUM IS CLOSED]
The collection of archaeological ceramics is composed of the findings made in the Old Town of Kaunas and its surroundings from 1968 to 1997: dishes moulded for different purposes, ornate renaissance and baroque stove tiles, ornamental stove parts and roof tiles of impressive sizes.
The exhibition presents works by Lithuanian ceramic artists dating from the interwar period to the present. The erxhibits perfectly reflect the path of ceramic art in
Here you will find creations by the Lithuanian professional ceramic art master – Liudvikas Strolis (1905–1996) using the encaustic technique and works of the
Ceramicist Leokadija Belvertaitė (1904–1992) a sculptress who had revealed her talent in small ceramic forms. The work of the well-known Lithuanian ceramic artist and long time teacher Birutė Elizabeta Zygmantaitė (1914–2003) is noteworthy for its wide range of colour glazing and her search for unity of form and décor. Through her teaching she passed her experience on to many contemporary professional painters.
The exhibition is also enriched by the work of masters of modern porcelain – L. Šulgaitė, A. Višinskienė, I. Petravičienė, and A. Keturakienė.
HISTORICAL PRESIDENTIAL PALACE OF THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA EXHIBITION
Vilniaus St. 33, LT-44290 Kaunas
ADELĖ AND PAULIUS GALAUNĖ HOUSE EXHIBITION
Vydūno Ave. 2, LT-50295 Kaunas
P. Galaunė was a pioneer of professional Lithuanian museology, painter, art critic, as well as folk art researcher, bibliophile, and collector. The library collection (12 thousand volumes) is very rich – collected by P. Galaunė from among publications related to
The room of Adelė Galaunienė is a salon with authentic furniture and works by M. K. Čiurlionis, A. Galdikas, J. Janulis, P. Stauskas and other artists as well as photographs and opera scores from the 19th and 20th centuries. Concerts, book launchings and various events take place in the room today in order to carry on the musical traditions.
K. Bizauskas memorial room is installed on the second floor of the building. The exhibits are composed of pictures presented by the family, memorial items and works of art that had belonged to P. and K. Bizauskas and had been kept in the
LIUDAS TRUIKYS AND MARIJONA RAKAUSKAITĖ MEMORIAL MUSEUM EXHIBITION
Fryko St. 14, LT-44229 Kaunas
The exhibition displays scenographic plans and sketches, a splendid collection of Asian carpets dating from the 18th and 19th centuries, a valuable book collection, Chinese silk rolls, Buddhist sculptures, enamels, porcelain as well as a collection of Lithuanian wooden folk sculptures.
Part of the exhibition is dedicated to Marijona Rakauskaitė (1892–1975) – the famous opera prima donna and loyal companion of L. Truikys. Her family photographs, theatrical photographs and stage costumes are exhibited in the museum.
JUOZAS ZIKARAS MEMORIAL MUSEUM EXHIBITION
J. Zikaro St. 3, LT-44261 Kaunas
The four residential rooms of the museum consist of the living room, A. Zikarienė room, the dining room and J. Zikaras work room. Furniture from that period is shown in the living room. On the walls are works of J. Zikaras and some by his son Teisutis Zikaras. Photographs, reflecting the life of J. Zikaras and his family, are displayed in A. Zikarienė room.
The dining room has remained very similar to what it used to be: a round table, a cupboard and chairs. On the walls here you will find works by J. Zikaras and the paintings by his close friend J. Mackevičius and the plaster sculpture “Linen” by Teisutis Zikaras. In the work room, only the work desk and the chairs remain of the original furniture.
The studio downstairs consists of three rooms. The sculptures and their moulds made by J. Zikaras are displayed in the first room, together with examples of coins made during the interwar period. Sculptures which were displayed in the first Lithuanian exhibitions are found in the second room. A model of the "
M. K. ČIURLIONIS MEMORIAL MUSEUM EXHIBITION
M. K. Čiurlionio St. 35, LT-66164 Druskininkai
M. K. Čiurlionis Memorial Museum invites visitors to the multisectorial anniversary commemorative exhibition "M. K. Čiurlionis: round the solar circle“. The concept surveys M. K. Čiurlionis‘ creative activity and his lifelong meditations. At any moment of the day – be it early morning, a sunny midday or even late evening – the most prominent Lithuanian artist was equally concentrated on his creation.
The first review circle st
The next review circle invites visitors to the second and third memorial buildings. The greatest number of authentic material concerning the Čiurlionis family is accumulated here, one can even sense an echo of M. K. Čiurlionis‘ steps. On the display there are eye-catching memorial things – the family harmonium, the piano donated by Mykolas Oginskis, the first authentic paintings by M. K. Čiurlionis and photographs selected specially for the commemorative exhibition. The third building opened in 1963 was perhaps the most affected by the challenges met in the course of history. Visitors will have a nice possibility to enter M. K. Čiurlionis‘ room and cast a glance at the painter‘s palette. In the large room of the building there is an authentic piano which was used by the composer during his study years in Warsaw.
The third review circle – a brown building presents a new exhibition. The gallery includes three halls two of which are dedicated to M. K. Čiurlionis‘ paintings. Both, the early creation (1903–1906) and the paintings from the later period (1907–1909) have received an enormous recognition in 2013. The selection of the most favourite painting revealed that the greatest number of votes was given to Amity, Tale of the Kings, Sonata of the Sea and The Summer Sonata. From now on, not only guides talk about these paintings. The viewers are free to interpret their thoughts by writing them down in the museum diary. The sounds of M. K. Čiurlionis‘ symphonic poems heard in the gallery serve as a bridge leading towards synthesis between M. K. Čiurlionis‘ painting and music, promotes a new conception of the stylistic genesis in the
VYTAUTAS KAZIMIERAS JONYNAS GALLERY EXHIBITION
M. K. Čiurlionio St. 41, LT-66164 Druskininkai
The first part of the exhibition in the artist’s former studio consists of woodcut examples, illustrations, drawings and lithographs made by V.K. Jonynas. The work is presented in chronological order. The work reveals the height of the artist’s skills.
Between 1938 and 1939 the artist created the woodcut illustrations for the poem “The Year” by Kristijonas Donelaitis. These illustrations are examples of the best in Lithuanian graphic art.
The German period is presented by woodcut illustrations for J. W. Goethe’s “The Young Werther’s torment” (started in Kaunas in 1943 and finished in Freiburg in 1947) and P. Merime’s “Lokis”. Illustrations for W. Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” (unpublished), O. Milašius “Migel Manjara” (unpublished) and J. W. Goethe’s “Siege of Mainz” are on display for the first time.
The artist’ tools, materials and woodcut blocks are shown in a smaller room. The gallery displays the collection of postage stamps made by V. K. Jonynas for four different German States (Bundesländer). The other areas of the gallery serve to display paintings, prints, drawings, sculptures, bas-reliefs, and a four part stained-glass work. Video material with the artist talking about his life and work is also shown in the gallery.